Monday, April 2, 2012

gypsum to break up clay clods

The following is an email Julie received from Bill Burgin.

I've started working on my grow bed at the park and found a lot of clay clods in the mix.  I used gypsum to break up clay in my garden in the past with good results and have decided to try it in the new bed.  It will not affect the Ph reading. Here is a website that covers the topic well, I think:

http://www.humeseeds.com/gypsum.htm

Of course, adding a lot of organic material like peat moss, compost, etc. will help too.

I did put sulphur in my bed for potatoes and tomatoes since they thrive better with Ph 5 for the former and Ph 6 for the latter. In a 4 X 12 bed, it will take one-half pound with more of it on the side potatoes are planted on and less on the tomato side.  The soil tested Ph 7, which is neutral. The sulphur disappears over a few months so it has to be reapplied next year.

Thought you'd like to pass this on to those using he beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment