Saturday, August 10, 2013

To Carry Home the Bounty

I want to say Jim Ault should receive credit for this idea and its implementation (correct me if I'm wrong.)

If you look on one of the posts in the gazebo, there's a container with plastic bags to carry home your bounty.  Multiple times last summer I went to water my plot and went home juggling produce because I forgot to bring something to carry everything home.  Thanks to Jim, I've been able to carry everything safely home.  This week I made gazpacho and tomato soup from the garden bounty.
Some people haven't carried home produce in a while...and I am really tempted to relieve you of tomatoes that are rotting on the vine!  It's killing me to watch them go to waste.

Friday, my box received some general maintenance - pulled weeds and old tomato plants.  Some say, "let the tomato plants live" that the blooms will set again in cooler weather for "late tomatoes."  But I was anxious to start mustard greens (seeds) and kale (transplants from my house.)  Real estate is a premium with only 48 square feet.

This morning I went to the farmers market in Argenta (NLR), and my farmer friends say that fall gardening is really the best for raised beds.  The cooler weather and gentle rains make for healthy plants.  Be sure to add some compost or other nutrient enhancer occasionally because the raised beds leach minerals and nutrients quicker than a traditional "in ground" garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment