Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Amending the Soil: Winter Wheat

Two informative articles from Mother Earth News:

Cover Crops: Tips and Advantages
Restoring Soil Nutrients: Organic Gardening

I plan on getting to the garden soon to clean out my bed and plant some winter wheat.  From bread making, I had some soft winter wheat (that grows well in a warm winter climate like ours).  I'm sure you could buy some at Whole Foods in the bulk bins.  Or just ask me, I'll give you a cup - our beds are so small you don't need much.

Below are pictures from LAST December of the raised bed near my house...and my cute garden helpers.

 She thought the soft soil was chocolate.  And soon learned it wasn't.
At the farmers' market, I scored some rice hulls to act as compost as well as camouflage for the wheat kernels (so the birds wouldn't peck the wheat before they germinated.)
We also added wheat to flower pots that didn't have annuals.  Actually, I think I planted tulips in this pot (below the wheat) and it looked pretty for a day or so until it was too hot and my tulips wilted.
 Springtime...just before I turned the soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment